LIQUID FOOD COMPOSTER (LFC)
Design Energy Group is the exclusive Bay Area distributor for the PowerKnot Liquid Food Composter (LFC).
About the Liquid Food Composter (LFC)
The LFC from Power Knot is a fully enclosed automatic composting machine that disposes of any food matter within 24 hours. Once it is installed, you can add waste food at any time and only composted food is discharged into the waste water.
Water is injected into the machine to maintain equilibrium for the microorganisms to rapidly decompose the food and to flush composted material out of the machine. A rotating arm inside the machine slowly churns the waste food to constantly mix the old food, new food, and microorganisms to enhance the decomposing function.
The machine can be thought of as a bio-digester in which the microorganisms are digesting the organic material.
How It Works
The LFC uses a series of processes in which microorganisms break down biodegradable material in the presence of oxygen. The environment of the LFC accelerates the digestion of most food products and bio plastics within 24 hours. This acceleration of the natural decomposition process of food waste is achieved with our patented mixture of microbes and enzymes and a computer control that optimizes the aeration, moisture, and temperature within the LFC. The output is grey water that is environmentally safe. You can discharge this down the drain or possibly use it to enrich your landscape.
The LFC is a practical alternative to traditional waste disposal. Anything you can eat, including fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, cheese, bread, rice, and noodles can go into the LFC. The machine can compost both raw and cooked foods. The process is totally green because it uses no chemicals.
As one of earth's oldest processes, composting is the most effective means of stabilizing and converting biodegradable waste. The waste food is not merely pulverized but is is decomposed to such a degree that it becomes a liquid and can exit the machine only through a fine mesh screen. The rich by-product is therefore safe and replenishes nature.
The LFC can be used to save money at a variety of facilities that have waste food including:
◦ Hotels and resorts
◦ Corporate kitchens
◦ Theme parks and stadia
◦ Hospital, school, and military canteens
◦ Highway service centers
◦ Bakeries and other manufacturing facilities for foods
◦ Supermarkets and food distribution centers
◦ Cruise ships
◦ Greatly reduces costs to dispose of waste food
◦ Reduces size, quantity, and smells of trash bins
◦ Eliminates flies and rodents that may be attracted to garbage bins containing waste food
◦ Saves time, expense, and injuries of employees carrying trash outdoors
◦ Waste food does not go to landfill where it creates methane
◦ Generates positive public relations
◦ Payback is typically 18 to 36 months
◦ Significantly reduces carbon footprint of business
◦ Decomposes waste food on your facility
◦ Food is decomposed within 24 hours
◦ Continuous process permits food to be added any time
◦ Discharge from machine is safe to enter sewage system
◦ Installed in kitchen or work area
◦ Simple and safe operation
◦ Air-tight tank provides quiet and odor-free operation
◦ Three year warranty
◦ World wide sales, service, and support
Saving the Planet
When waste food is discarded in a landfill, it degrades as an anaerobic process (in the absence of oxygen). This decomposition produces methane (CH4) which is 72 times worse for the atmosphere in the short term than carbon dioxide (CO2). The effect of this on global warming is huge, because the largest part of garbage sent to landfills in the US is waste food. Further, the decomposition smells and can cause health problems. Discarding 100 kg (220 lb) of waste food per day causes the equivalent of 153 tonne of CO2 per year to be sent to the atmosphere.
The decomposition inside the LFC is an aerobic process (in the presence of oxygen). This produces CO2 and water in a natural manner that is accelerated in the machine. This natural process is carbon neutral because the carbon was taken from the atmosphere to produce the food in the first place. The LFC uses minimal electricity that causes (for the LFC-100) the production of about 1.2 tonne of CO2 per year.
The LFC can be installed inside the area where the food is prepared or it can be placed outside under a suitable protective cover. The machine has castors so it can be rolled into position and then locked in place. The machine requires hot and cold water input and a 2" (50 mm) drain out. It also requires an electrical supply.
The amount of food that can be decomposed depends on the type of food, the frequency with which it is added to the machine, and the duration of the working day. The rated capacity of a machine is based on a mixture of raw and cooked food as may be found in a typical restaurant added over a 12 hour to 16 hour working day. The upper capacities in the table above assume that you add waste food over a 24 hour day. Cooked rice, pasta, or bread are some of the foods that are rapidly decomposed and if added in equal portions throughout the day then the capacity can be twice that listed in the table above.
The LFC is available with different supply voltages so it can be used to save money globally.
- Construction: all stainless steel
- Operating environment: indoors or covered patio; cannot get rain
- Operating lifetime: expected to be 15 years
- Operating temperature: 0°C to +35°C (32°F to 95°F)
- Warranty: three years on all parts and components
- RoHS: compliant